OnePlus is one of the most famous smartphone brands out there in the market. Powered by the Android operating system, OnePlus is often touted as a flagship killer.
On one hand, when OnePlus is insanely popular among Android users, the AirPods, on the other hand, are also catching up on demand in the Android ecosystem even though AirPods are designed for Apple devices.
That, however, never stopped Android users from using AirPods with their Android devices. This happened because AirPods are based on Bluetooth technology, which is also available for Android users.
Unfortunately, the special features of AirPods that are available only to iPhone users are not available to Android users. If that is not a deterrent for you, this guide will walk you through the process of making AirPods work with OnePlus phones.
Turn on Pairing Mode for AirPods
The first step to make your AirPods work with OnePlus phones is to activate the pairing mode of AirPods. How do you do that? Here are the steps:
- Step 1: Ensure that your AirPods and the charging/storage case for the earbuds are charged. It is not necessary to have a full charge. A partial charge is good enough.
- Step 2: Once you have enough charge, bring your AirPods close to your OnePlus phone. Ensure that the AirPods are inside the case and the lid of the case is open.
- Step 3: Turn the case on the back and locate the white button (circular) on the back of the case. Press and hold the button for 3 seconds.
- Step 4: When you press and hold the button, the LED light on the front of the case or inside the case (located on the partition between the earbuds) will start blinking white. This will indicate that the pairing mode for the AirPods is on.
Turn on Bluetooth on OnePlus Phone
Now is the time for turning on the Bluetooth on your OnePlus phone. Follow the steps below to turn on the Bluetooth:
- Step 1: On the home screen of your phone, swipe from the bottom to pull out the app drawer.
- Step 2: Find the ‘Settings’ app and tap on it to pull out the settings screen. On that screen, find the option which reads ‘Bluetooth & device connection.’ It is usually the second option.
- Step 3: Tap on that option to pull out another screen where Bluetooth will be listed on the top.
- Step 4: Tap on the Bluetooth option to open the Bluetooth settings screen. There you can see the toggle switch that you can use to turn your Bluetooth on or off. If it is turned off, use the toggle switch to turn it on.
- Step 5: Once you turn on the Bluetooth, tap on the second option which says ‘Pair new device.’ A new screen will open where your device name will show up and once again you will see the option ‘Pair new device.’ Tap on it again.
- Step 6: Once you do that, another screen will open where you can see the already paired devices. You will also notice that your OnePlus is searching for new nearby devices.
- Step 7: Wait until the search is over and AirPods are listed on your phone’s screen. Once you see AirPods listed, tap on it. A new popup will open, asking you to pair AirPods with your phone. Tap on the ‘Pair’ button.
- Step 8: You will notice that the light on the AirPods case will change to green or amber (depending on the amount of charge left) and then the light will turn off. Now your AirPods are connected to your OnePlus phone.
- Step 9: Once your AirPods are connected to your OnePlus phone, you can then take out the earbuds and keep the charging case aside. Wear earbuds and you are good to go!
With AirPods connected to your OnePlus phone, you can listen to music or watch videos or even take calls. However, you need to understand that since AirPods are designed for Apple phones, you will not get various special features that only iPhone users enjoy. For instance, you can’t get the features of noise cancellation or use the Ear Tip Fit Test.